Friday, May 27, 2011

To Remember

The typical bedtime routine around our house (when Jeff and I are both home) is that around 7:45 I take Eli into his room, rock for a few minutes and then put him in bed. Meanwhile, Jeff watches a couple of episodes of Thomas with Luke and Nathan and then takes them to brush teeth and get into bed. Because the amount of books I read to Eli each day really varies and is sometimes none, I started reading to him each night when we go into his room. Usually the books are already there, next to the rocker. But, one night this week the books had been moved from his room at some point during the day (blonde, short, book loving culprit). So, before I headed into his room, I gathered some book from the basket. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my little bookworm eyeing me (Nathan if you don't know). I did not make eye contact with him and headed into Eli's room to do our usual thing. Of course, in a second or two I heard the door open and a little head peek in at me. He came over to the rocker and said, "Can I rock too Mommy?" So Eli and I moved over and Nathan sat very quietly while we read a few books. This is really different for Nathan because normally when I read to him he asks a million questions. When I asked Eli questions, Nathan would quietly help Eli by pointing to the answers. It was really, really sweet and something I wanted to remember. After we finished reading, Nathan got up and left the room and we all continued our routines. My sweet, sweet Nathan. To say he loves books is an understatement. If I ever sit down for longer than a second, he is asking me to read to him. When he gets up before everyone else, he gets some books to read (and a snack), and sometimes when I am getting ready in the morning, he gets some books and brings them into the bathroom to read. I can't wait to see what you'll become Nathan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post by a most loving and very caring mother... Thanks for sharing. Much Love, Mother