Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Year

Sometime during the past year I found a website that allows you to make a book out of a blog. It's been my intention since that time to get a book made, at the end of the year, of our blog. I started this blog in January of 2009. I remember the day very well. I was working in the lab at UNT and we were really slow so I decided to start a blog. I think my intention at first was to provide information about the boys to my family members that live out of town and don't get to see the boys as much as they would like. I think my intention for the blog was a little different back then and I certainly thought too much about what other people thought about what I was writing. I'm not much of a writer. Most of the writing I do is academic and I'm much more comfortable with that kind of writing. Even as a kid, when I would write a diary or keep a journal and go back and read it some time later, I would feel like a huge dork. I still feel that way. But luckily, as this blog has continued, the focus has changed. It's no longer geared for anyone but the boys. I love to share what we are doing with the five people that read this blog but my focus is much more, what would I want the boys to know, when they get older, about this time in their lives? Of course, this assumes that they will care one day about what they were like when they were little! In the meantime, I'm sure I will enjoy reading it as they grow and become annoying teenagers and I can look back and remember when life was simple and I thought it was so hard.

So, what I want to do here, and the point of the above rambling introduction, is provide the boys with a little information regarding what they were like at this point in time.

Luke: 3 years, 7 months
Luke Wilson, from the time you were born you were different from other children. Almost nothing that works for other kids, works for you. You are strong willed (code for stubborn) and independent. You developed physically by the book and started talking later than most (at least talking we could understand). You are very, very sensitive and affected very much by change. I have to admit that I see a lot of myself in you and it makes it easier for me to work with you. I understand your need to be independent and free from control by others. But, you also have an intense desire to please and be loved but it's sometimes hidden by your independence. You are so smart Luke and have begun to ask me "why" all the time! I love it and look forward to telling you all you want to know. You have matured so much Luke, this year. I can't even believe how much you have changed in the past year. You are developing and learning and growing so fast. I can't wait to spend another year with you.

Nathan: 2 years, 6 months
My sweet Nathan. When you were a tiny baby I would lay on the floor beside you, face to face, and just get this feeling that you were very smart. You have not disappointed me. I have always been amazed at what you understand, how you can follow directions and now, how many words you know (and I can understand more of them every day!). You have the most wonderful, easy smile with dimples that may get you into trouble later. Although you are two now and all that comes with being two, you are cooperative and easy going. You are solidly built and very much a rough and tumble little boy. You are my wrestler and take down Luke every chance you get (Daddy says you will be the football player). You have been telling me you want to be a fireman and I have been encouraging that! But, whatever you become, I know you will be amazing! You make my heart smile Nathan.

Eli: 10 months
10 months with you Eli. They have been good and very full months. You have been, hands down, the easiest and most wonderful baby. You eat well, sleep well and since you could sit up, you have spent hours and hours playing happily on the floor. I am so blessed to have you and have really needed you to be so sweet (your brothers can be a little high maintenance sometimes)! Over the last couple of weeks you have really begun to develop quickly. You have begun to crawl and even have your first tooth. You "talk" and "talk" so much now. I love to hear your sweet voice. A very precious memory of you is when I rock you to sleep. Even though you began to fall asleep on your own early on, I don't get to see you as much as I would like so, at night, I rock you to sleep. As you are falling asleep, you make these noises, I guess to soothe yourself. They are so precious Eli and something I don't think I will ever forget. You're getting bigger now and I'm realizing how fast time is flying. Forgive me if I try to hold on to my baby too much!

OK boys, that's all.
Your loving dorky mother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Celia Elizabeth,

You are far from "dorkey." You are a very sensitive, kind, beautiful young lady, who is extremely smart, resourceful and wise beyond comprehensive.

Your sons, as they grow, will identify these characteristics and will be like their papaw. That is, their papaw over the years has protected his mother (your grand mother) in ways only sons can. Luke asks now, "Are you okay, mama?"

Finally, you, my precious daughter, are an excellent writer!! No other writer on earth can quickly evoke overwhelming emotion from this rather stiff, old English professor.

By the way, I believe your evaluations of your sons at their ages, today, are on target. I am glad you celebrate and enjoy their differences. This is extremely wise. They are equal, but never the same.

MUCH LOVE,
mother

Donna said...

Whew, okay, that post was written for your boys. So, tell me why I am sitting here crying then.

I love you, Sister, and these boys are so very blessed to have you.

Shannon said...

Not one single thing about that post was dorkey! You are an amazing mom and your boys are so lucky to have you. Their wives will be so thankful for the way you are bringing them up and the way you have openly loved them from day one! I am so glad I got to read your sweet thoughts! Love you, Friend!