Monday, June 13, 2011

Birthday, Part 1

Once, Jeff's Mom described the first child as sort of like the first pancake. Try as you might, sometimes things just don't turn out. Because Luke and Nathan are a little less than 13 months apart, their birthday celebrations had become two hot (temperature, I mean) parties at our house, about 3 weeks apart. So, this year we decided to try something different and have two, small, family parties at our house on the actual birth-day, and one party at a fun place for both boys, all the cousins and a friend or two. I would say overall, it was a good idea. The hardest part was having Luke's small party at home on the 29th. He did not understand why no one was there to celebrate his birthday. He kept asking, where are Mimi and Grammy and Papa and Kyle and Kristin...? I think it put a little damper on his excitement that day. But later, when we had the big party (next post), he seemed to understand a little more and really had a great time. But first, here he is on the actual birthday! For some reason he has started waking up during the night and getting in bed with Jeff (I usually give him my spot and move to the couch. I can't sleep with an alligator).

Waking up:

Birthday boy and big little brother:
Helping make his birthday breakfast:

For the first time I told Luke about his baby book. He was very interested and wanted to look at it closely. Of course, Nathan had to have his too.

After church we had lunch at Luke's favorite place, the enchilada place (O'Jeda's to everyone else).

Birthday boy and Daddy:

I would like to pretend we had a great lunch but really it was not that great. By the time we get out of church, Eli and Nathan are so tired that eating out is something we avoid now days. In the past we would eat out almost every Sunday but as Eli has gotten older, it's gotten harder and harder to do, after church anyway. Eventually, Nathan and Eli and I had to go and wait in the Jeep while Luke and Jeff finished eating and paid the bill. This too shall pass and then I'm sure I'll be sorry to see it go.
At home (after naps) with the mini-Thomas cake and cupcakes. Too bad the cake is leaning. It did wait to fall until we cut it.



Everyone enjoying the new track and trains:

It was not a perfect day but it was a very special day because it was the day we celebrated the birth of my wonderful Luke. When I think of Luke I think of an independent little boy who, with each month, seems to grow and mature and change. He is passionate and outgoing and knows his mind. He is eager to help and is growing more loving and kind each day. One special memory I have of Luke recently is going through the car wash. Last Friday after school I took the boys with me to get the Jeep washed. It was the drive through kind and on our way Luke kept reminding me that Eli does not like the car wash. So, as we went through the car wash and as Eli became afraid, Luke would comfort him with "It's OK Eli, I'm right here" and patted Eli on the leg. Finally he put his hand on Eli and leaned over into Eli's seat. That's just the kind of thing he would have never done last year but that comes so easily now. What an exciting four years it's been Luke. I've learned so much and often watch in awe at how you change and grow. I know I make mistakes but no one will ever try harder or love you more, my first little pancake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A MOST wonderful post... Much LOVE, MIMI and Mother, too...