Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Big News

First, let me say I'm not pregnant! HA! Actually, I've been taking great joy in donating Eli's baby equipment/clothes/toys the second he outgrows them. I dropped off our two infant carseats today and it felt G.O.O.D! Although, I do have to admit that I did have to resist the urge to go back and take a picture of them. They have been with us for so long, well 4 years anyway, but it seems like a long time. I selectively ignored the new recommendations regarding car seats...what news report? My brother David gave us the car seats when Luke was born (he has twins, hence the two seats) so those seats have seen a lot of little behinds! Does some small part of me want to try for a girl? Yes, the thought of having a girl is thrilling to me but the REALITY of having another baby is more than I can handle. And, I would probably end up with another boy anyway and I'm all out of boy names. On that topic, spring break turned out to be a really great experience. The boys and I stayed home for most of the week and I learned something important. While I love my job and I'm so very thankful for it, the most difficult part of this year and my return to work has been this feeling that I don't get to spend enough time with Eli. He's so easygoing that he often plays and plays while I'm taking care of the other boys and household chores. But, spring break showed me that it's not the fact that I'm working that takes so much of my time from Eli, it's the fact that there are three of them now. Somehow, adding one more little person has increased the work around here exponentially. So, instead of sitting down to play with the boys once they are all playing peacefully, I'm off to squeeze in loading the dishwasher or clearing off the kitchen counter that seems perpetually cluttered. It was good for me to see that even when I'm home with them all day, everyday, I still have the feeling that I don't get to spend much time with Eli. In a weird way, it made me feel better. Now, when I become independently wealthy and hire a maid...

Anyway, on to my news. It's official now! I was offered the assistant professor of educational research position at Texas Wesleyan and took it! So, the "visiting" part of my title will be dropped and I'll be tenure track. And, I will get one year of credit toward tenure for this year! So very excited and so glad to get that off my back! This year has been like a year long interview! The most amazing part of the process is this: Last semester I was walking around campus and just talking to God and telling Him, Lord, I really don't want to go through an all day on campus interview. I just need them to give me the job. And do you know what? That's just what happened! It's almost unheard of but that is what happened. They did not even bring anyone else in to interview so I did not have to compete against anyone in an on campus interview. I went through one 30 minute phone interview and that's it! It's a real miracle for me and I'm so thankful!


What does that mean for our family? Well, we are making plans to move west. The 'when' is still unknown. We have been looking in the Keller area. The older I get the more I realize wisdom is the most important component of a successful life. With wisdom comes insight and knowledge about not only what to do but when to do it and the patience to wait until the right time.


So, while I'm spilling my guts on this blog which is really strange in and of itself, I'll go ahead and share another epiphany I've had recently. I mean, I write blog posts in my head all the time but never put them down on paper. But, something occurred to me not too long ago. For a long time I prayed and wondered what my role is in the Body of Christ. In a way I kept waiting to get involved until I "found out" what IT is that I'm supposed to do. But then one day it occurred to me that the IT happens every day. I should not wait to get in THE position before I can be useful. I mean, I get asked all the time, how do I manage 3 little boys, working, remain calm (HA, if they could see me at 8:30 every morning!)...? The answer is always easy and an open door for me to share with them, I could not do it without God. There it is, a role for me. Maybe one day I will have an official "ministry" role but until then, I'll embrace this one.

4 comments:

jolene said...

love this post celia. congratulations on your new position and potential move! what an exciting time. miss you friend.

erickson family said...

ah! i must have been logged into my other email when i posted my comment. now my old nerdy name is found out! haaa. :) love, jolene

Anonymous said...

What an extraordinary post... and what an extraordinary daughter, I have. So much that I could say, but I will not. Instead, I will say, "Congratulations, you are an excellent, very superior young woman, my precious daughter. I am so very proud of you."
I am looking forward to the move, an easier commute for you, and to the potentials this new position offers to you and to the boys' futures.
MUCH LOVE,
Mother

The Junods said...

Oh my goodness...I'm catching up on my google reader and just read this. I don't know where to start. First of congratulations on the amazing job...You are awesome! And what an answer to prayer for the interview process. I am excited for your all to move and have a new start to everything. I used to think moves were scary...they're not...they help you grow up even more! Keller will be GREAT or anywhere around there. And lastly I am so encouraged by your insight to ministry as a mom. God will bless you. I totally understand the feeling of being lost in the body of Christ when you're busy being a mom and doing the everyday routine. Worship is caring and doing what's best for our kids on a daily basis. People will see your joy and know there's something different. That's ministry! Can't wait to hear more details!! Will keep you in my prayers as they all unfold. Lv, wendi